Sunday, March 09, 2014

Cherry blouse of doom

This shirt started off as Burda #119 from Burda magazine 7/2007. I was looking for something to use up a cherry print cotton voile that had sat in my stash for years and was crying out to be made into a shirt.

This was one of those tops. It was extra time consuming because I decided to underline each piece (the fabric was too sheer and I don't really want to wear a singlet in summer). As I was pressing out a stubborn crease mark (years of sitting folded in the stash) , the dye from the cherries bled in some places. This was after a rigorous pre-wash. The placket band turned out looking rubbish so I changed the front to have the placket running all the way and recut the band.

 I originally made this top to wear to work. However, it has been sitting in my wardrobe for weeks. The blouse is also a little short because I made adjustments to the length above the waist and did not think to add some length back in. There is a gap between the bottom of my blouse and the shorts. Ain't nobody got time for that. These pants are a slightly different coloured red but there is not gap so I may still be able to make it work.
 
There are two things I don't like about the pattern. Firstly is the weird pleats on the back neckline - I did not pay much attention when I traced the pattern. I really think some darts would look better. It looks like an error in sewing rather than a design element. The other is a felt like the gathers ended too low. I really don't need gathering over my stomach. It needs to start and finish at least 5cm higher up.
My solution for the not enough button problem was to not make buttonholes in the collar. I never button this bit up anyway. I am sure you could understand I did not want to waste more time running to the shops to buy a couple of buttons for a top that was taking much more time than it should have.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Marie, I did exactly the same thing with the polka dot dress I made a while ago. Shortened the cross over top to fit, thinking I was so clever to think of that and then worked out I forgot to add it back. I think you could get away with it with those red pants, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pattern made one of my favourite tops (preblooging, but it is on Pattern Review). I must get it out and make another one. I totally agree with all your comments though.
    The pleats in the back neck are silly. I changed the back into a yoke for the top I really love (because of fabric limitation) and closed up the pleat ( it made the bottom of the yoke curve a bit). They do look like a mistake on the other version I made of this top. I'd change them into a dart next time.
    The gathering on the front was too low on me for my first version too, I moved it up about 5 cm for the second attempt.
    I like your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes you just need to finish up and move on don't you? it looks really cute on tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a really cute shirt - I agree with your critiques of the pattern, but those are the sorts of things only sewists notice when they look with a critical eye. The fabric is wonderful too; good you were able to salvage it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks - I love receiving comments.